At a dinner party a few months ago, the host asked if I could repair their go-kart, using my RepRap 3D Printer. Apparently the steering wheel had broken off and the Chinese supplier refused to supply only the steering wheel. I accepted the challenge, but did warn that PLA was not the ideal plastic for such a repair, being somewhat brittle.
I decided to approach the problem by removing all the broken plastic from the back of the steering wheel, and designing a new part to slot over the steering column nut and bolt onto the remains of the steering wheel.
My daughter wanted a small windmill for a school project, and this was my very quick’n’dirty attempt.
My daughter needed a small bridge for a school project and I couldn’t find anything suitable on-line. This was my very simple design, intended to be fully parametric, but probably only within certain limits.
Having bought an inflatable Avon Redcrest dinghy on eBay, I found that the pump no longer had a clip holding the two halves together. I knew that the older models used to have a piece of leather attached to one half with holes that clipped over screws on the other half, but on this pump only the screws remained.
Newer pumps instead came with a plastic clip that attached to the pump hose and clamped the two halves together and I felt that it would be quite simple to replicate and so it proved. This was a simple design exercise and worked perfectly first time. I have since re-sold the dinghy and hope that the pump clip is still serving its new owner.
Finally got around to putting curtains up in our guest room and the curtain rings had been lost. They did eventually turn up, but these printed rings worked perfectly until we did. Yes they’re not pretty, but you really could not tell unless you got close.
My Westerly sailing boat has a rectangular-shaped shorepower socket and the faceplate was broken in half. Given its very exposed position in the cockpit, this is only to be expected, but purchasing a replacement proved very difficult. Fortunately the broken half had been kept by the previous owner, which enabled me to design an exact replica. And the beauty is that it will certainly be broken again, so I have printed a spare.
My mother-in-law’s curtains were pulled down by a Great Dane, breaking many of the curtain hooks. They seemed to be an unusual design and she asked if I might be able to print them on my RepRap.
This was very satisfying design, which did not take long, posed no particular challenges and printed very quickly. If only all jobs were like that.